Aug 16, 2011
Top Ten Ways to Savor Summer's Final Days
Unfortunately, the lazy, hazy crazy days of summer are winding down. Here are our top 10 ways to make the most of the season’s final days in Litchfield County.
10. Get in the water! Enjoy one of the area’s largest and finest lakes by canoeing, kayaking or paddle boating around Lake Waramaug in Kent.
9. Grab the kids and head to Lake Compounce in Bristol for a fun family adventure before they head back to school. Be sure to check out the Wildcat, a roller coaster around since 1927, or the Boulder Dash, voted the World’s #1 Wooden Coaster.
8. Head to Torrington’s weekly Main Street Marketplace downtown on Thursdays August 18 and 25 from 5-9pm. Pick up farm grown veggies, shop for handmade jewelry and enjoy some local entertainment for a night that’s sure to please the whole family.
7. Take a hike! Head up the trails at Mount Tom State Park in Litchfield to the lookout tower for fabulous views of the Litchfield Hills. Then head back down and cool off in the waters of Lake Tom.
6. View exotic animals from all over the world in the 116 acres of Action Wildlife in Goshen. Stop by the petting zoo to feed the baby animals, or hop on a hay wagon for a safari!
5.Go spelunking! Journey through an underground tunnel on a visit to Tory’s Cave in New Milford, the only marble solution cave open to the public in Connecticut.
4. Fulfill that childhood dream and go horseback or pony riding at Lee’s Riding Stable in Litchfield. Ages 7 and up are welcome to ride from 9am-7pm daily with well-mannered horses and experienced trail guides.
3. This weekend, stop by the Antique Auto Show and meet at the Goshen fairgrounds. From 10am-3pm Sunday, August 21, check out antique and classic cars, trucks and motorcycles.
2. See a flick—outside! We’re lucky in Litchfield County to have one of only two drive-in movie theaters in the state. Head to the Pleasant Valley Drive In Thursdays-Sundays for a double feature under the stars.
1. Summer isn’t complete without an outdoor concert. Visit Music Mountain, Falls Village’s world-renowned site for chamber music concerts. Stop by this Friday at 8 for a silent movie with live accompaniment, or Saturday at 6:30 to hear the Galvanized Jazz Band.
So there you have it! Ten great ways to spend these last few precious summer days. Enjoy!