How We Roll
How the people of Bedford get around
It’s not all late-model SUVs and Minivans on the Backroads of Bedford. In fact, after we realized how many vintage-car collectors, motorcycle enthusiasts, and just plain creative drivers there are in the area, we started collecting photos. We couldn’t fit them all, but Here are some of our favorites.
1) Juan Briano loves cruising around Bedford in his 2004 BMW R1200C, the storied brand’s last cruiser model that was featured in 1997’s film Tomorrow Never Dies.
2) Martha Stewart rides her horse not only on her Katonah estate but also, in this case, to a birthday party at the Pound Ridge Reservation.
3) Tom Smith and Toni Nagel-Smith tend to tootle around Pound Ridge in their 1960 Morgan+4 or their 1960 Land Rover Series 2 (peeking out of their barn).
4) If you see this orange Audi parked in Scotts Corners, you’ll know where to find its driver, Lisl Steiner, who decorates the dashboard with rubber snakes. The orange color is actually a temporary wrap thatcan be removed.
5) Real-estate agent Muffin Dowdle rides Biscuit on Bedford’s dirt roads and the Bedford Riding Lanes when she’s not showing properties to clients on horseback.
6) Ezra Peterman and his family enjoy riding their Segway around their Pound Ridge neighborhood.
7) Riley and Casey Pavone are happy travelers who catch a ride in the back of John and Dianne Pavone’s Morgan whenever they can.
8) Pound Ridge’s Howard Brodsky collects both vintage cars and bikes. Here, he rides his custom Triumph Bonneville Cafe Racer with Santi, his St. Bernard, in the sidecar.
9) The Pound Ridge seniors take the Neighbor to Neighbor bus around town and on field trips for shopping and special events.
10) Eric Rosenfeld drives his 1967 BMW R60/2 combination—one of three vintage bikes in his collection—anywhere he can. The bike has a c. 1955 sidecar that his wife, Sally, loves to ride in.
11) When you see this vintage Chevy in front of the Inn at Pound Ridge, you can be sure that Chef Jean-Georges Vongerichten is in the house.
12) Katonah’s Steve Kase and his wife, Terry, have a collection of vintage bikes and cars, including this 1966 Citroen 2CV.
Photos #2, #5 & #11 by Sally Green