Top Successes for Bedford 2020
Reducing greenhouse gas emissions
The mission of the Bedford 2020 Coalition is to lead, organize and promote a community wide effort to reduce greenhouse gas emissions 20% by 2020 and to create a sustainable community that conserves its natural resources.
1. Helped launch New York State’s Pilot Community Choice Aggregation Program
Resulting in 14 Westchester towns (70,000 consumers!) adopting a 100-percent renewable electric energy supply.
2. Piloted New York State’s first home energy efficiency program
Which has since expanded to 14 Westchester municipalities and yields an estimated annual 2,400-ton reduction in greenhouse gas emissions.
3. Hosted the Bedford 2020 Car Show
Informing 1,100-plus attendees about the latest electric, plug-in hybrid and hybrid vehicles, electric charging stations, and solar installations.
4. Led campaign that resulted in Town of Bedford adopting single stream recycling
Increasing the percentage of waste that’s recycled in Bedford from 16 percent to 30 percent.
5. Created the Greenlight Award Competition
Engaging students and helping them implement “big green ideas” to address climate change and preserve natural resources in our local communities.